A little over a month ago, I celebrated my 29th birthday. I am not afraid of getting older. Honestly, I think the only person that still believes I’m not already in my thirties is my mom and really, it’s just because she gave birth to me. I don’t exactly act like your typical twenty something. I married at 20 and settled quickly into adulthood because that is exactly what I wanted to do with my life. My bachelor’s degree reads my married name, not my maiden like most people I graduated with. Life isn’t a competition. I am an old soul. I know this. I always have been. I’m mature way beyond my actual age so who really cares if I turn 30 on my next birthday?
Still, I thought it would be fun to celebrate the event with some kind of important accomplishments. I’m already happily married with plenty of kids so you won’t see any of those milestones on my list but after spending the last month really thinking things over, I came up with 5 things I want to do before I turn 30, 5 personal development things that matter only to me. You can search for ideas on Pinterest. It’s really an interesting collection of bucket list items, traveling to foreign countries, charity work, savings, life events: it’s pretty extensive. Anyway, here is my list, in no particular order:
1. Run a 1/2 marathon. I will train this winter and sign up for a local race in April. I already have many plans in place to accomplish this one.
2. Read 30 books in my 30th year. I love reading but I do not prioritize it and therefore rarely finish a book. I am determined to change this with a VERY ambitious of goal of reading 30 books this year. I am already done with one (The Fault in Our Stars) and I am already well over 2/3 of the way through my second (The Mystic Wolves) with a third waiting for me at the library tomorrow. Part of healing my body is getting better sleep and I’ve learned that I sleep much better when I read about 30 minutes comfortably in bed before falling asleep. I also enjoy reading during nap times when I don’t have work to do and while I’m soaking in a relaxing Epsom salt bath.
3. Finish the Get Up and Go Biathlon. I’ve done the running part of this race in a relay team already and from the second I finished I knew I wanted to do the full thing. I had my eyes set to do it this past summer but just as I started my training we started looking at new houses, put an offer in, I got shingles and all the sudden the whole summer was over and there was no way we were ready to compete. This year, I WILL run it. It’s an August race so I’ll be fresh off my 1/2 marathon training and ready to go. It is a 5 mile run followed by a 20 mile bike ride.
4. Do a push up and pull up. Seriously. Don’t judge. I have absolutely no upper body strength. It’s really sad. I do modified push ups during my workouts but I’ve never actually done a full push up. And don’t even get me started on pull ups. I will be putting a good focus on strength training though during my other race training work so this will be another thing I set my mind to.
5. Pay off my student loans. I graduated when I was 22. I absolutely do not want to celebrate another birthday with student loan debt. It is depressing. We are very close but also so very far away from this goal but it is a big priority right now as it’s the last of our debt (mortgage excluded.)